Marine Well Containment Company (MWCC) provides the following services in conjunction with the interim containment system:
- In the event of an incident, MWCC will provide the Responsible Party (RP) with subsea equipment, including risers, dispersant and hydraulic manifolds, as well as the capping stack. Preparation and mobilization of equipment will begin promptly upon activation of the MWCC team under the direction of the RP and Unified Command. MWCC maintains a list of mutual aid equipment, which will be made available to the RP in the event of a deepwater well control incident.
- Support well permitting by providing system documentation that companies can utilize to develop their permit submission to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), including generic procedures for containment preparation. Member or non-member companies will address well-specific requirements (debris removal, wellbore calculations and emergency response structure for a potential well control incident).
- Maintain and steward equipment, generic procedures, dispersant stockpile and contracts to be continuously ready to respond. The company holds member orientations, tests readiness through drills and will evaluate upgrading MWCC's containment system as technology evolves and members' needs expand. Member companies participate in regular training and drills to ensure they are ready to respond. MWCC will work closely with members and non-members in the event of an incident.
- As follow-up to any incident, MWCC captures lessons learned and provides support for refurbishment and return of MWCC equipment. The RP would be responsible for refurbishing and returning the equipment.
- The RP would be responsible for debris removal, relief well drilling and deploying and operating the equipment. The RP is also responsible for securing marine capture vessels, shuttle tankers and surface cleanup. When the expanded containment system is complete, it will include dedicated modular capture vessels.
|Marine Well Containment Company|
|Maintain containment system in ready state|
|Deliver capping stack, subsea equipment, and dispersant to RP shorebase|
|Maintain mutual aid inventory list|
|Provide generic procedures and technical expertise on operation of containment system|
|Provide ongoing training to members and contracted parties|
|Covered Entity (Responsible Party)|
|Direct and manage containment response (with Unified Command)|
|Provide marine vessels to deploy containment equipment|
|Contract drillships (member released) to capture well fluids|
|Install capping stack and subsea equipment|
|Return capping stack and subsea equipment to MWCC upon completion|